North Carolina Residency for Tuition Purposes

NOTE: Only students affiliated with academic programs* that are administered through the School of Education should apply via the instructions and deadlines on this page. Students affiliated with programs administered through The Graduate School should visit The Graduate School for residency information.

*Academic programs administered by the School of Education: M.Ed. for Experienced Teachers, Master of School Administration, Ed.D. Curriculum and Instruction, Ed.D. Educational Leadership and all post-baccalaureate programs.

To claim North Carolina residency for tuition purposes you must reside in the state of North Carolina for at least one year prior to the first term for which you are applying. Please visit the University of North Carolina residency manual for a more in depth look at the residency process.


Residency applications for an expired term are not accepted.


Mailing Address

Office of Student Affairs, School of Education
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
CB 3500, 103 Peabody Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3500