Licensure should be requested within five (5) years of completion of any program leading to licensure. After 5 years, there is no guarantee that we will be able to recommend for a license due to potential changes in licensure requirements and programs.
NEW APPLICATION PROCESS - EFFECTIVE FALL 2015
Educators completing requirements for a NC license must access the NCDPI’s new Online Licensure System. All applications will be electronic. Paper applications will not be accepted by NCDPI.
Educators will access the new online system at https://vo.licensure.ncpublicschools.gov. On the lower left hand corner, click on NCDPI Registration under the shaded green phrase, Educator Registration.
Educator Registration: Click Below to Create a New Online Account
Create an account. You, as the educator, will need to enter and submit your unique account information. Always use your personal email, since your HeelMail email will eventually expire. After submitting this information, you will receive an email with a temporary password. You will return to the licensure site and sign in with your user ID and Password, which you created in the first step above. You will change your password. Your account is permanent. You will login each time using your user ID and Password.
When you have all appropriate items ready to upload, you may begin your application. The first screen you will see gives you two options.
|By clicking YES, this indicates that you have been issued a North Carolina Educator ’s license (even if provisional or expired). You will provide identifying information and confirm the information.||By clicking NO, this indicates that you have NEVER been issued any type of North Carolina Educator ’s license.|
ALL EDUCATORS WILL UPLOAD THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- 1. Official transcripts with degree completion**
- 2. Test scores (if applicable)
- 3. Any other pertinent information needed for the NC License
- 4. Nonrefundable $55 fee by credit card – All educators pay a nonrefundable fee, whether clearing or upgrading a license.
**You should secure an official transcript http://registrar.unc.edu/academic-services/transcripts-certifications/order-a-transcript/. Click on Order a Transcript. There is a fee for this service. Have the transcript sent to yourself so that you can upload it on the Licensure site. The School of Education nor the Office of Student Affairs will upload the transcript for you. The transcript you upload to NCDPI must be degree dated. Current students should select to hold the transcript until degrees have been posted.
4 Important Points to Remember
- 1. The statement of applicant must be completed before the application can be submitted.
- 2. The application will only be routed to UNC-Chapel Hill for recommendation once the nonrefundable processing fee is submitted.
- 3. The application will not be processed by DPI until UNC-CH has completed the recommendation for you. If you upload an unofficial transcript, a non-degree dated transcript or do not include applicable test scores, UNC-CH cannot recommend you.
- 4. To avoid an additional fee later, do not submit your application or pay your fee until all required items are uploaded. Applications that have been created, but not completed will expire after 30 days. Note – the processing fee is nonrefundable.
Once all items are uploaded including the fee, and submitted to UNC-CH, you cannot make any changes. Incomplete transcripts/applications will delay your license process. Your application may be rejected and you will be notified through the Licensure System, not the university. Thoroughly check your application before submitting.
Licensure YouTube Instructional Video
Praxis II and School Leadership Licensure Assessment Information
- Bachelor's Degree Programs
- Master's Degree Programs
- Doctoral Degree Programs
- Post-Baccalaureate Programs
Additional Licensure Information
- As of May 4, 2006, the State Board of Education approved the proposal to allow an individual who holds a clear teaching license in one area to add another teaching area by passing the required Praxis II test for the area.
- Update or Renew Your License
Licensure Programs External to the School of Education
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions about the licensure process.