Newly Admitted MSA, MSA-FLEX, MEDX and
Post-Baccalaureate program students

What to do immediately

  1. View your admission offer. Log in to the online application and view your admission offer. Make a note of your 9-digit Personal Identification (PID) Number.
  2. UNC-Chapel Hill supports the Council of Graduate Schools' Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants, which states that you are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15.

  3. Accept your admission offer and pay your deposit. To accept or decline your offer of admission, please complete the Reply to Offer of Admission form located on your application student status page in the online application website. If you are accepting your offer of admission, a link to pay the non-refundable $250 enrollment deposit will become available on your application student status page. The enrollment deposit is applied to your tuition payment for your first semester and is not an additional fee. The enrollment deposit may not be waived.
  4. Create your UNC ID login (ONYEN). Your UNC ID login name is called your ONYEN, which stands for the Only Name You'll Ever Need. You will use your ONYEN to access the online student center (ConnectCarolina), your UNC email, and other services.
  5. To create your ONYEN, visit ONYEN services and click on “Create an ONYEN.” Enter your 9-digit Personal Identification (PID) Number from your online admission offer, your first and last name, date of birth, and gender. If you do not know your PID, you can find it here: What's My PID? An Onyen will be created for you and you will be asked to create a password.

  6. Create your UNC email address. Once you have created an Onyen and Onyen password, you need to manually signup for the email service by visiting the Email Self Service Tool (
  7. For more information, visit How do I get a UNC e-mail account? or contact the ITS Help Desk.

    We will send all official university correspondence to your UNC email.

  8. Are you an international student? Visit the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) website. Be sure to see the New Students page. As a newly admitted international student, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) will send you information and instructions in order to document that you meet necessary financial requirements. ISSS will then send you the appropriate documents to use in obtaining or updating your visa once it has been determined that you have met the necessary financial requirements.
  9. For information and insights from student peers, view our New International Graduate Students videos.

What to do before you arrive on campus

  1. Request official transcripts. Once you have officially accepted your admission, you must request official transcripts for each post-secondary school attended be sent to the School of Education at UNC-Chapel Hill.  Failure to provide official transcripts will result in a registration hold being placed on your account for future terms.  This includes all transcripts from colleges, universities, community colleges, summer sessions, or extension programs. Academic transcripts uploaded to the online application are considered unofficial and do not fulfill this requirement. You are not required to send official transcripts from UNC Chapel Hill.

Official transcripts:

    • Must be received directly from each post-secondary school on paper or by certified electronic copy.
    • Must be properly signed or authenticated.
    • Must be complete (not select courses).
    • Must include grades.
    • Must be issued in the original language and be accompanied by certified English translations (when applicable).
    • Must show the award of degree if completed, or you must include a separate certified copy of the diploma or degree certificate.

We cannot accept:

    • Unofficial transcripts.
    • Transfer credit listed on the transcripts of other schools. Transcripts must be submitted directly from the school at which the courses were taken.
    • Incomplete transcripts. If you are completing or have just completed a degree, wait until you have a final transcript. Your transcript must show that all of your coursework is complete and that you have been awarded your degree.

Mail final, official transcripts to:
School of Education – Graduate Admissions Office
103 Peabody Hall, CB 3500
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3500


Request that your school(s) or its authorized agent email an authenticated electronic transcript to

Check first that your school is capable of sending authenticated electronic transcripts. We cannot accept electronic transcripts in any other form from you or your school.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill reserves the right to rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between unofficial and official transcript(s) are found.

All transcripts become the property of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and cannot be borrowed, returned to applicants, or sent to another institution or campus.

For any questions about transcript processing, please contact

  1. Submit your immunization and health form. Visit the myUNC campus portal and click “Immunization and Health History Form.” You must submit this form in order to not have your registration cancelled.

To learn more, view the Required Immunization and Health History Information.

  1. Enroll in health insurance. As a UNC student, you must have health insurance. To learn more about student health insurance options, please visit the Campus Health Services website

You will be automatically enrolled and billed for the UNC System-Wide Student Health Insurance plan unless you submit a waiver to show that you have an alternate health insurance plan.  Action must be taken each semester to opt out of the mandatory student health insurance. Failure to do so by the deadline will mean the cost will be charged to your student account.

  1. Access ConnectCarolina through the MyUNC campus portal. You can use ConnectCarolina to:
    • Review financial aid
    • Monitor official transcript checklist
    • Pay tuition and fees
    • Register for classes
  2. Residency. To learn how to establish in-state residency, see North Carolina Residency for Tuition Purposes.  To apply for in-state resident status, if you have been classified as a non-resident or undetermined (check your offer of admission letter), you must complete an application and timely submit it to the School of Education. Application deadlines are strict. Please email the application and evidentiary documents to Anne Bryan,, or mail them to:

    School of Education - Graduate Admissions Office
    103 Peabody Hall, CB 3500
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3500

  3. Register for courses. Visit the myUNC campus portal and click on “Enrollment Shopping Cart” or “Enroll” under the “Academics” tab. You will want to search for your courses using the EDUC or (EDMX) prefix and the 3-digit number.
  4. You are welcome to contact the School of Education Registrar if you have trouble registering for courses. SOE Registrar – 919-962-8690 –

  5. Will you take out federal loans? Visit the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid to learn about federal loans.

In order to receive federal loans, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling. Please refer to


Please contact the graduate admissions office at or 919-966-1346 if you have questions about admissions.

Contact your academic program directly if you have specific questions about the program, including funding opportunities.

If you are an international student, contact International Student & Scholar Services.