How to Apply & Deadlines

Post-Baccalaureate Admissions - Frequently Asked Questions

What is the status of my application?

If you have submitted your online application and paid your application fee, you can log on to your application account to view your application status.

My application status shows that you haven’t received (my transcript/ letter of recommendation). Where are they?

All application materials are now submitted electronically.  It is your responsibility to upload your statement of purpose, resume, transcripts, and any supporting documents directly to your online application.  If any of these items are not showing please go into your online application and upload them.

If any of your letters of recommendation have not been received that is because your recommenders have not submitted them.  If this is the case please contact your recommenders directly to request that they submit their letters.     

When can I expect to hear about decisions, or is there a decision on my application?

Once the application deadline has passed it takes approximately 4-5 weeks for decisions to be made and notices to be sent out.  All admissions decisions are sent out via email.

How do I apply?

If you are interested in applying, please visit:

I am an international student. How do I apply?

International students should apply with the instructions outlined above and are encouraged to visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services website for more information on student visas, financial certificates, TOEFL requirements and foreign transcripts.

How long are GRE/MAT scores valid?

5 years

Where are the letter of recommendation forms?

All recommendations are submitted electronically.  Recommenders will receive an electronic (email) request to submit a recommendation for you when you submit your online application.

Can I send you copies of my transcripts or GRE scores?

NO – all transcripts (unofficial) must be uploaded directly to your online application.

Official GRE scores must reported by ETS to UNC Chapel Hill by the application deadline for the program you are applying for.

What is the deadline for [SOE program]?

Application deadlines can be viewed at:

When are application materials due?

School of Education application deadlines are strict.

All application materials, including letters of recommendation and official test scores, must be received by the application deadline.  Applications that are incomplete after the deadline will be administratively withdrawn and will NOT be reviewed for admission.

All application materials are submitted electronically.  Applicants are responsible for monitoring their application status and ensuring that their application, including letters of recommendation and official test scores, is complete by the application deadline.  Failure to do so will result in your application not being reviewed for admission.

What if my application materials don’t arrive by the application deadline?

Your application will be considered incomplete and will NOT be forwarded to the respective program for review.

What are the requirements for [SOE program]?

Program requirements can be viewed online on the program’s webpage at:

Interested students can view a program of study for each program. If you have specific questions about a program’s course requirements, please contact the program directly using the contact information found on the webpage.

My GPA or test scores fall below those of your average applicant. Can I still apply?

Yes, you can still apply, but you may want to contact the program coordinator directly to see what they are looking for in a successful applicant. Along with these minimal requirements, admission decisions are based on a number of factors, including academic degrees and record, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, test scores and relevant work experience.

Can I transfer in credit?

Transfer credit is awarded on a case by case basis at the discretion of the program. Post-Baccalaureate students sometimes transfer in content courses but will not be allowed to transfer in core Education coursework.

I plan on applying to the School of Education next year/semester. Can I take continuing studies courses to transfer into my degree program?

Please contact the program coordinator of your intended program for information about courses they may accept. Be cautious when taking courses before you are admitted as the School of Education cannot guarantee your admission into your desired program.

Is there any financial aid available?

There may be funding available to you depending on your intended program. Please visit Financial Aid & Funding for more information. You may also want to investigate funding opportunities through the University Office of Scholarship & Student Aid.

Are there any graduate assistantships?

Please visit the School of Education’s Financial Aid and Funding page for information on assistantships.

Do you offer any strictly online courses?

At this time, none of School of Education degree programs can be completed fully online. However, the Master of School Administration Flex (M.S.A.) program does offer coursework off-campus to meet the needs of practicing school professionals. The School also offers some online courses:

How do I take classes through continuing education?

Please visit the Friday Center’s website for more information regarding continuing education.