Nominate an educator for an alumni award
March 18, 2010
Briana Corke (A.B.Ed. ’03) receives the Outstanding Young Alumna Award at the 2009 awards ceremony. Congratulations are being offered by Professor Rhonda Wilkerson, who was her mentor at the School of Education, and Dr. Gus Martin, chair of the 2009 Awards Committee.
The School of Education is currently seeking nominations for our annual alumni awards. The dean and the School of Education Alumni Council have established these awards to recognize the accomplishments, commitment and ongoing contributions to education of our alumni and friends and to honor their important role in the life of the School.
The 2010 awards ceremony will be held on Saturday, Sept. 25, in conjunction with the celebration of the School of Education’s 125th anniversary. The following awards will be given:
- Outstanding Young Alumni Award
- Excellence in Teaching Award
- Distinguished Leadership Award
- Alumni Achievement Award
- Peabody Award
The Peabody Award may be given to alumni or friends of the School of Education or UNC-Chapel Hill who have made an extraordinary impact on the field of education. The other awards are presented only to alumni or faculty of the School of Education.
The School of Education’s annual awards program began in 2001. Previous recipients include:
- Governor Gaston Caperton (B.S.B.A. ’63), former governor of West Virginia
- William C. Friday (L.L.B. ’48), UNC President Emeritus, and Ida H. Friday (M.P.H. ’47)
- Governor James B. Hunt Jr. (J.D. ’64), former governor of North Carolina
- The Honorable Howard N. Lee (M.S.W. ’66), former N.C. Senator and chair of the N.C. State Board of Education
- Dean E. Smith, former UNC men’s basketball coach, and Linnea W. Smith
- Roy Williams (A.B.Ed. ’72, M.A.T. ’73) , UNC men’s basketball coach
To make a nomination, submit a nomination form along with a letter describing the candidate’s achievements and a biographical description of the person’s education, experiences and activities. Nominations are welcome at any time, but the deadline for consideration for fall awards is June 1. Later nominations will be considered in the future.
We hope you’ll take time to honor an outstanding educator with a nomination for one of these awards. To learn more about the awards, please visit our Web site or contact Laurie Norman, director of alumni relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 843-6979.