Faculty & Research
Selected Publications - Faculty Research and Scholarship
Following is a list of some of the recent publications authored by School of Education faculty members. Click on the title to read the article's abstract. Use the menu options on the left to access our archive of faculty publications.
- Teacher attunement: Supporting early elementary students’ social integration and status. Hoffman, Abigail S.; Hamm, Jill V.; Farmer, Thomas W.; Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, Vol 39, Jul-Aug, 2015 pp. 14-23.
- Evaluating Implementation of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health in Portugal's Special Education Law. Sanches-Ferreira, Manuela; Simeonsson, Rune J.; Silveira-Maia, Mónica. International Journal of Inclusive Education, v19 n5 p457-468 2015. (EJ1054703)
- Multiple Aspects of Self-Regulation Uniquely Predict Mathematics but Not Letter-Word Knowledge in the Early Elementary Grades.Blair, Clancy; Ursache, Alexandra; Vernon-Feagans, Lynne. Developmental Psychology, v51 n4 p459-472 Apr 2015. (EJ1056889)
- How Can Book Reading Close the Word Gap? Five Key Practices from Research.Snell, Emily K.; Hindman, Annemarie H.; Wasik, Barbara A. Reading Teacher, v68 n7 p560-571 Apr 2015. (EJ1055660)
- Talk Alone Won't Close the 30-Million Word Gap. Wasik, Barbara A.; Hindman, Annemarie H. Phi Delta Kappan, v96 n6 p50-54 Mar 2015. (EJ1058909)
- Measuring Knowledge Integration Learning of Energy Topics: A Two-Year Longitudinal Study. Liu, Ou Lydia; Ryoo, Kihyun; Linn, Marcia C. International Journal of Science Education, v37 n7 p1044-1066 2015. (EJ1062229)
- Automated Guidance for Student Inquiry. Gerard, Libby F.; Ryoo, Kihyun; McElhaney, Kevin W.; Liu, Ou Lydia; Rafferty, Anna N.; Linn, Marcia C.; Journal of Educational Psychology Publisher: American Psychological Association;
- Participation of children with disabilities in Taiwan: The gap between independence and frequency. Hwang, Ai-Wen; Yen, Chia-Feng; Liou, Tsan-Hon; Simeonsson, Rune J.; Chi, Wen-Chou; Lollar, Donald J.; Liao, Hua-Fang; Kang, Lin-Ju; Wu, Ting-Fang; Teng, Sue-Wen; Chiu, Wen-Ta; PLoS ONE, Vol 10(5), May 11, 2015 ArtID: e0126693. Publisher: Public Library of Science; [Journal Article]
- Rural–nonrural differences in college attendance patterns. Byun, Soo-Yong; Irvin, Matthew J.; Meece, Judith L.; Peabody Journal of Education, Vol 90(2), Mar, 2015 pp. 263-279. Publisher: Taylor & Francis; [Journal Article]
- Research and practice partnerships for professional development in early childhood: Lessons from ExCELL-e. Hindman, Annemarie H.; Snell, Emily K.; Wasik, Barbara A.; Lewis, Kandia N.; Hammer, Carol Scheffner; Iannone-Campbell, Charlene; Journal of Education for Students Placed at Risk, Vol 20(1-2), Apr, 2015 pp. 12-28. Publisher: Taylor & Francis; [Journal Article]
- Teaching Science through the Language of Students in Technology-Enhanced Instruction. Ryoo, Kihyun. Journal of Science Education and Technology, v24 n1 p29-42 Feb 2015. (EJ1050396)
- The Common Core State Standards Initiative: An Event History Analysis of State Adoption By: LaVenia, Mark; Cohen-Vogel, Lora; Lang, Laura B. American Journal of Education, v121 n2 p145-182 Feb 2015. (EJ1051312)
- Structured Communities, Science Instruction Development, and the Use of Blogging in a Pre-Service Elementary Teacher Education Program. Wall, Steven C.; Anderson, Janice; Justice, Julie. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, v22 n3 p361-395 Jul 2014. (EJ1040815)
- Early Communicative Gestures Prospectively Predict Language Development and Executive Function in Early Childhood By: Kuhn, Laura J.; Willoughby, Michael T.; Wilbourn, Makeba Parramore; Vernon-Feagans, Lynne; Blair, Clancy B. Child Development, v85 n5 p1898-1914 Sep-Oct 2014. (EJ1039334)
- The Distorted Looking Glass: Examining How Housing Identity Privilege Obviates the Goals of “Brown v. Board of Education” at 60. Gooden, Mark A.; Thompson Dorsey, Dana N. Educational Administration Quarterly, v50 n5 p764-782 Dec 2014. (EJ1043454)
- Effects of Sentence Instruction and Frequency Building to a Performance Criterion on Elementary-Aged Students with Behavioral Concerns and EBDDatchuk, Shawn M.; Kubina, Richard M.; Mason, Linda H. Exceptionality, v23 n1 p34-53 2015. (EJ1051341)
- Understanding Local Instructional Responses to Federal and State Accountability Mandates: A Typology of Extended Learning Time. Midkiff, Brooke; Cohen-Vogel, LoraPeabody Journal of Education, v90 n1 p9-26 2015. (EJ1050836)
- Sociodemographic Moderators of Middle School Transition Effects on Academic Achievement. Akos, Patrick; Rose, Roderick A.; Orthner, Dennis. Journal of Early Adolescence, v35 n2 p170-198 Feb 2015. (EJ1048854)
- The Chinese version of the Child and Adolescent Scale of Environment (CASE-C): Validity and reliability for children with disabilities in Taiwan. Authors: Kang, Lin-Ju; Yen, Chia-Feng; Bedell, Gary; Simeonsson, Rune J.; Liou, Tsan-Hon; Chi, Wen-Chou; Liu, Shu-Wen; Liao, Hua-Fang; Hwang, Ai-Wen. Research in Developmental Disabilities, Vol 38, Mar, 2015. pp. 64-74.
- Effects of sentence instruction and frequency building to a performance criterion on elementary-aged students with behavioral concerns and EBD. Authors: Datchuk, Shawn M.; Kubina, Richard M.; Mason, Linda H. Exceptionality, Vol 23(1), Feb, 2015. pp. 34-53. [Journal Article]
- There is no correlational or causal link between creativity and mental illness. Sawyer, R. Keith. PsycCRITIQUES, Vol 60(9), 2015. [Review-Book]
- Understanding local instructional responses to federal and state accountability mandates: A typology of extended learning time. Authors: Midkiff, Brooke; Cohen-Vogel, Lora. Peabody Journal of Education, Vol 90(1), Jan, 2015. pp. 9-26.
- Fathers' language input during shared book activities: Links to children's kindergarten achievement. Baker, Claire E.; Vernon-Feagans, Lynne; The Family Life Project Investigators; Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, Vol 36, Jan, 2015 pp. 53-59.
- Multiple Aspects of Self-Regulation Uniquely Predict Mathematics but Not Letter–Word Knowledge in the Early Elementary Grades. Blair, Clancy; Ursache, Alexandra; Greenberg, Mark; Vernon-Feagans, Lynne. Developmental Psychology, Vol 51(4), Apr, 2015. pp. 459-472.
- The mediating role of parenting in the associations between household chaos and children’s representations of family dysfunction. Zvara, B. J.; Mills-Koonce, W. R.; Garrett-Peters, P.; Wagner, N. J.; Vernon-Feagans, L.; Cox, M.; Family Life Project Key Contributors; Attachment & Human Development, Vol 16(6), Nov, 2014. pp.633-655.
- Domain-specificity of self-regulated learning processing in science and history. By: Greene, Jeffrey Alan; Bolick, Cheryl Mason; Jackson, William P.; Caprino, Alfred M.; Oswald, Christopher; McVea, Megan. Contemporary Educational Psychology. Jul2015, Vol. 42, p111-128. 18p. DOI: 10.1016/j.cedpsych.2015.06.001.
- An Investigation of the Role of Contingent Metacognitive Behavior in Self-Regulated Learning By: Binbasaran Tuysuzoglu, Banu; Greene, Jeffrey Alan. Metacognition and Learning, v10 n1 p77-98 Apr 2015. (EJ1055697)
- Diverging destinies in rural America. Vernon-Feagans, Lynne; Burchinal, Margaret; Mokrova, Irina; In: Families in an era of increasing inequality: Diverging destinies. Amato, Paul R. (Ed); Booth, Alan (Ed); McHale, Susan M. (Ed); Van Hook, Jennifer (Ed); Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing, pp.35-49, xiv, 242. [Chapter]
- 'Mommy, I'm bored': School-family-community approaches to working with gifted, rural Black males. Griffin, Dana; Wood, Susannah M.; In: Serving gifted students in rural settings. Stambaugh, Tamra (Ed); Wood, Susannah M. (Ed); Publisher: Prufrock Press; 2015, pp. 289-315. [Chapter]