Clinical Professor of Teacher Education, Curriculum and Instruction, International and Experiential Education and Chair of the Faculty.
301B Peabody Hall
“I feel very fortunate that my work in life is not only my pleasure but also a way to continue my own education.”
– Suzanne Allen Gulledge
Suzanne Allen Gulledge is a Clinical Professor of Teacher Education, Curriculum and Instruction, and International and Experiential Education. She was named a UNC-Chapel Hill University Engaged Scholar in 2009. International and global studies and community based service learning are among her teaching and research interests. With Ulteschi, Entrepreneurship Initiative and Center for International Studies grants she developed and continues to teach community based and study abroad courses. Through the Burch Honors Program she has developed the first School of Education teacher education program study abroad semester which will be offered in Fall, 2010 in Cape Town, South Africa. Gulledge is active on the Carolina campus in faculty governance and in interdisciplinary academic activities. She serves on the Carolina Faculty Council Executive Committee and boards of the Center for Faculty Excellence, Carolina Navigators of the Center for Global Education, APPLES Service Learning Program and Fixed Term Faculty Association. Teacher education and teacher professional development, in addition to social foundations, ethics, and social studies education, are Gulledge’s primary scholarly interests.
- Ph.D. 1983 - Duke University, Curriculum & Instruction
- M.Ed. 1978 - Duke University, Social Studies Education, Secondary
- A.B. 1974 - Duke University, Sociology & Religion
- Middle Grades Education
- Pedagogy: Practica and Research
- Reflective Practice
- Global Studies
- Teacher Education
- Curriculum and Instruction
- International and Experiential Education
- Middle Grades
- Social Foundations
- EDUC 464: Teaching Profession
- EDUC 465: Introduction to Teaching
- EDUC 466: Planning for Teaching in the Middle Grades
- EDUC 469: Teaching Skills Laboratory
- EDUC 564: Teaching Social Studies in the Middle Grades
- EDUC 568: Seminar on Teaching in the Middle Grades
- EDUC 569: Teaching Internship
- EDUC 613: Culturally Responsive Teaching
- EDUX 657: Social Studies and Humanities for Teaching and Learning
- EDUX 757: Informing Social Studies Pedagogy and Learning A
- EDUX 758: Informing Social Studies Pedagogy and Learning B
- EDUX 759: Contemporary Research for Social Studies Teaching
- Global Enhancement Grant from U.C.I.S., 2003-04 ($1,800) and 2007
- U.C.I.S. Title IX ($9,000 recurring)
- APPLES Service Learning Initiative ($5,000)
- N.C. Humanities Council for Global Arts Initiative ($25,000)
Selected Professional Affiliations
- 2001-present, Member State Task Force on Middle Grades Education, North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
- 2000-2001, Member Expert Panel on State Social Studies Curriculum Revision, North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
- 2001-2003, President, College and University Faculty Assembly, North Carolina Council for Social Studies
Galassi, J.P. & Gulledge, S.A. Advisory: Definitions, Descriptions, Decisions, Directions. Monograph, National Middle School Association. 1998.
Galassi, J.P., Gulledge, S.A. & Cox, N.D. "Planning and Maintaining Sound Advisory Programs," Middle School Journal, 28 (5), 1997, 35-41.
Galassi, J.P. & Gulledge, S.A. "Middle School Advisories: Retrospect and Prospect." Review of Educational Research, Vol. 67 No. 3, 1997.
Galassi, J.P. & Gulledge, S.A. "The Middle School Counselor and Teacher-Advisor Programs," The School Counselor, 1997.Update Profile