Carolina Teachers' Connection
Linking Alumni Teachers from the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Education
This program is not meant to replace the mentoring going on in the schools. It is intended to provide a connection for UNC alumni. Go Heels!
- Arrange a time to get together to get acquainted and decide on a preferred mode of contact and times to make contact.
- Contact the novice teacher once a week. We are asking for a commitment of at least one academic semester.
Desired results for experienced teacher in interactions with novice teachers:
- Help the novice teacher develop his/her own strategies and solutions and work through problems without giving “the answer” and without passing judgment Active listening should be employed in interactions with the novice teacher. The goal is to help the novice teacher become confident in his/her own abilities.
- Provide encouragement and direction to resources that may be needed by the novice teacher.
- Serve as a role model for professionalism and convey passion for teaching in interactions with the novice teacher.
- Help novice teacher negotiate and interact with administration, colleagues, parents, students and others in a positive way.
- Encourage the novice teacher to find balance in life. It is important to develop and maintain interests outside of teaching.
- HAVE FUN! Enjoy the satisfaction of making a significant difference in the life of a new teacher and in the lives of his/her students. Enjoy the Carolina Connection!