Master of Education for Experienced Teachers, M.Ed.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who should apply for the MEDX program?

North Carolina teachers who have completed at least two years as classroom teachers in their chosen specialty area or two years of teaching experience with young children in a public or community-based program amd would like to upgrade their present licenses to the master’s level. The program is open to both public and private school teachers. Applicants interested in ECIFS have an option to apply as non-licensed teachers if they have a degree in child development, early childhood education, or a closely related field and have at least two years of early childhood teaching experience. Applicants entering the program without a current teaching license may be required to enroll in additional internship hours in order to obtain more experience working with young children.

Must my current teaching license be Birth-Kindergarten?

Your current teaching license does not have to be Birth-Kindergarten. It is preferred that you have a license and experience in on of the following areas: Special Education and Elementary Education.

Which cohorts will be offered for the 2018 - 2020 cycle?

Early Childhood Intervention and Family Support is the only cohort offered for the 2018-2020 cycle.

Can I use this program to change specialty areas or to change from elementary to middle grades or middle grades to secondary?

Upon completion of the MEDX program, graduates are recommended for an upgrade to master’s level licensure (M) in the area for which they hold a bachelor’s level license (A) and in some cases add B-K licensure to their existing A-level licenses.

Can I continue my teaching position while being a student in this program?

Yes! The program is designed specifically for working teachers.  During the fall and spring semesters,  courses meet once a week in at an off campus location, generally at the Carolina Center for Educational Excellence (located adjacent to Smith Middle School in Chapel Hill). Summer courses generally meet more often. Classes are offered in the late afternoon and early evening to accommodate working professionals.

Are courses offered online?

All courses are a combination of face-to-face and online instruction.

How do I apply?

The M.Ed. program is administered through the School of Education, NOT the Graduate School. Application instructions are available at All application materials are submitted electronically. Applicants are responsible for monitoring their application status and ensuring that their application, including letters of recommendation, is complete by the application deadline. Failure to do so will result in your application not being reviewed for admission.

What are the requirements for admission?

  • Licensure as a teacher in North Carolina in the specialty area appropriate for your intended cohort.
  • ECIFS applicants without a current teaching license must have a degree in child development, special education, elementary education, or a closely related area. Please see program information for ECIFS Option 2 if you are interested in ECIFS and do not currently have licensure in this area.
  • Two years of teaching experience in your specialty area and your expectation of a contract to continue teaching in that area in North Carolina. Teaching experience can be in any school, public or private, not necessarily in North Carolina. For ECIFS applicants, two years of teaching experience with young children in a public or community-based program is required.
  • Overall four-year GPA of 2.5 or higher on undergraduate transcript.
  • Three recommendation letters including one from your principal or immediate supervisor (ECIFS). Letters of recommendation will be submitted via the online application system.
  • A professional statement of purpose that describes your goals in teaching, pertinent background experiences, and relevant aspirations.
  • Completion of an online application form, including the application fee and all supporting documentation.

Submit all items by the March 13, 2018 deadline. Applicants are responsible for monitoring their application status and ensuring that their application - including the application fee, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and any other supporting documentation - is complete. Failure to do so will result in your application not being reviewed for admission.

Are there any tests required for admission into this program?

No. We do not require the GRE or any other test for admission to this program.

How long does it take to complete the MEDX program?

A little over two years; cohorts begin in early May and complete their work in the spring semester two years later.

Can I enter the program in semesters other than Summer I?

No. In the MEDX program, we expect students to complete all the courses with their cohort. Exceptions can be made sometimes for unforeseeable circumstances, but skipping a course can lead to a lengthy delay in program completion since all courses are not offered each year. Furthermore, there is no assurance that courses or cohorts will be offered in subsequent years.

Will courses taken at another institution of higher education transfer to fulfill the EDUC courses in the MEDX program?

If you have taken graduate courses within the past five years at another institution that you believe are equivalent to courses in your cohort’s program of studies, you can petition to have up to 6 semester hours of those courses transferred into the program.

What does this program cost?

Updated tuition and fee amounts are posted under “Student Account Services” on the University Finance Division website at and are subject to change without notice (please note that when calculating estimates of fees and tuition, the Office of the Summer School has its own tuition and fee schedule which is also included on this site).

Most applicants to the program are already qualified as North Carolina residents for tuition purposes. Information on how to establish North Carolina residency is available under “Residency” on the University Registrar’s web site at

For information about the University installment payment plan, please look under the “Our Services” link on the University Finance Division website at

Is there any financial assistance available?

The MEDX program does not offer any fellowships, scholarships, or assistantships specifically for students in that program. For information on general University financial aid resources and federal/state student loans, you can log on to:

In some school systems, foundation support may be available; check with your central office about this possibility.

Students must be enrolled in at least 4.5 credits per term to be eligible for financial aid.

For ECIFS Applicants:

What are the differences between this program and the MAT?

The MAT program is for people who are seeking initial licensure as teachers. The Master’s degree for Experienced Teachers (MEDX) program is for educators who already have an initial licensure at the bachelor’s level and seek to achieve master’s level licensure.