Old Well 1890s.
Photo courtesy of The North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library
UNC-Chapel Hill has been educating teachers and other school personnel since its opening in 1795. In 1877, UNC-Chapel Hill held the first University summer school for teachers in America when a group of teachers from Guilford County created a six-week normal school that met in the summer. Attended by teachers, townspeople, and students, this summer school was regarded by UNC's President Battle as the greatest achievement of his administration. Within a decade, the Department of Pedagogy was established at UNC-Chapel Hill in 1885, making Education one of only three professional schools at Carolina founded in the 19th century.
The School of Education was formally established as a professional school in 1913. Today we claim nearly 20,000 alumni, the third largest alumni base at UNC-Chapel Hill.
For a more detailed description of the history of the School of Education, visit the School's timeline here.